Tuesday, October 28, 2014

After Grad School

My graduating class and I have been talking a lot about how hard it is to get back to writing now that we have finished our master's program. There are a billion and one reasons that we're having trouble picking up a book to read or sitting in front of a computer to write. I need time to recover from sleep deprivation. It's hard to feel motivated without a deadline looming. I'm not sure where to go with a novel without the feedback of an advisor. I have all this grad school weight to work off, and I'm not as bendy as I was two years ago. It's still summer and there are yards to tend, vacations to take and kids to get ready for school.

But the thing is, that all of these excuses have always existed for us as writers. Then again, I did get engaged and I'm planning a wedding and a move across the country as well as looking for a new job and getting used to the idea of becoming a stepmother. So maybe I'll give myself permission to not write for just a little while longer.

3 comments:

  1. Life changes quickly sometimes. I'm so happy you'll soon be hanging around SLC. never imagined that!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Huge life-changing events allow you to take a step back, relax and see what the future holds, no requirements to keep up the same pace :) I'm so excited for you! Where are you relocating to?!

    ReplyDelete